Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOURBON THREAD!!!
Yes I'm yelling Smile. I recently read a nice article on Bourbon aging which basically said Bourbons don't improve after 12 years of aging.  I'm looking forward though to discovering that myself with a LOT of personal research!!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/stop-wasti...ts-too-old

"I asked Russell how he felt about the age of bourbon. Right around eight years was best, I recall him saying, and no real need to go past 12"
Usa 
I wasn't allowed to drink bourbon until I was 14... had a strict upbringing
I did not learn much about Bourbon till I moved to Kentucky. I think more people drink it than milk, or water there !
Usa 
When I came to Alabama for college I went to the liquor store with some fraternity brothers and when I picked up a bottle of Southern Comfort ( yuck!) they told me to put it back... ' this is Alabama, we drink bourbon' they said lol
And I was hooked! Big Grin
(01-13-2021, 12:27 AM)dave Wrote: I wasn't allowed to drink bourbon until I was 14... had a strict upbringing

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

(01-13-2021, 12:40 AM)dave Wrote: When I came to Alabama for college I went to the liquor store with some fraternity brothers and when I picked up a bottle of Southern Comfort ( yuck!) they told me to put it back... ' this is Alabama, we drink bourbon' they said lol
And I was hooked!  Big Grin

Only non-Bourbon I've drank is Crown Royal.  My understanding is it's about as close to Bourbon as one can get.

"Specifically, Crown Royal is a Canadian whisky, and even though this technically uses a bourbon mashbill (64% corn, 31.5% rye, 4.5% malted barley), bourbon can only be made in America. Though the TTB originally approved the label, they reversed their decision and forced the brand to stop using the name 'Bourbon Mash'."
Usa 
I can't find any Blantons to save my soul. Pisses me off.
_________
You can never carry too much ammo, unless you are swimming or on fire.
When I lived in Kentucky I noticed there were some Bourbons that existed there that could not be found a LOT of other places. Blanton's was one of them. Elmer T Lee was another. When I visited Buffalo Trace Distillery, about 12 or so years ago, they were bottling a batch of Blanton's. I recall it was a very labor intensive process. They did not run it on some big production line. I assumed this was cause it was a smaller batch? They brought a bunch of volunteers in to help with the process because it was more hands on apparently. You could tell it was a big deal. I recall they let us smell the container that the finished product was in. I remember I could smell plums. Wish I would have bought more hard to find Bourbons when I lived there Sad

I recall Blanton's used to go for around $70 a bottle. That's been 10 years ago. What's it cost now???
Usa 
(01-13-2021, 02:41 AM)Augie91 Wrote: I recall Blanton's used to go for around $70 a bottle. That's been 10 years ago. What's it cost now???

Couldn't tell you what the current price is because I can't find any. Grrrr!
_________
You can never carry too much ammo, unless you are swimming or on fire.
Buffalo Trace, out of the same distillery, is hard to find around here as well. I just discovered that Blanton's makes other varieties. Interesting....

https://www.gearpatrol.com/food/drinks/a...%20avoided.
Usa 
[Image: Old-Tub-Kentucky-Straight-Bourbon-Whiske...C800&ssl=1]

Saw this at Costco today.  Here's a little background on it...anybody try this??

Old Tub is a bottled in bond, non-filtered bourbon. The recipe is supposedly what inspired, or at least set the path for, Jim Beam Bourbon. The story goes that back in the mid to late 1800s, when prohibition had yet to shut things down and glass bottles were yet to be the industry standard, folks would come fill up their jugs of whiskey from a tub that held the current stock.
Usa