Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recipes/Foods/Eating Thread!
Adding baking soda to your ground beef!  I may have to try this!  Anybody do this??

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/you-shoul...103865/amp
Didn't read the article, but I assume it's to help browning. I've toyed with the idea of brushing baking soda water or even a weak lye solution on a steak before searing, but never got around to it.
Yes it says that sprinkling a bit with ground beef, mixing, and letting sit for 15 min will help meat to brown quicker and maintain moisture and be more juicy. They show 2 pictures and the one without the process has lots more moisture in bottom. I immediately jumped to thinking about steaks too.
Usa 
Whew. I made 25 Spring Rolls tonight. Took a piece of Medium Roast Beef, wrapped it around a sharp cheddar cheese stick, rolled it in the spring roll and fried it for 2ish minutes. We made some horseradish dip. Num Num...kids liked them. Eat 3 or 4 and it's like eating a solid sammich.
Usa 
Where did you get the wrappers?
So I have me some marbled nice ribeyes destined for the smoker.
It has a diffusion plate that slides out of the way and let's you put food right over the burn pot.
It is a jet sounding tornado of wood fire.
I need a couple other items but this first game today is a rare treat for a decades long bucs fan, so I'm up and ready enjoy this day.
It sports Christmas for me
Lou I got the wrappers at the Oriental Food Store.  They were located in the freezer section.  They had 5 or 6 spring roll varieties and 5 or 6 egg roll varieties.  We have 2 really good markets like this in our area, 1 in Iowa and 1 in Illinois.  Your town has 2 really nice markets too according to Google. All the wrappers worked good. The only key was making sure the oil was not too hot. I fried them 2 at a time in a skillet, turning them every 30 seconds. I kept the oil under 275. My spring rolls were not very full. So they fried up quickly in about 1.5 to 2 minutes tops. If they were filled with more ingredients and fresh veggies to cook I think 3 or more minutes would be required. I like the wrappers fried golden, my first few came out over done with a darker brown finish.
[Image: 468cbf5bde44ee81b8a405ce5300a9e7.jpg]
That's a good tip on the temp. We do egg rolls at 325-350. I'm not sure I normally fry anything at 275. Even potato chips are around 300.
My main goal was to get that cheese melted without burning the wrapper. Pre-made Frozen rolls, or ones that were stuffed fuller, might be a different story.  Only frying 2 at a time contributed too me thinks.  The darker ones tasted good, but not as good as the golden ones imho.  I'm looking forward to testing more in future!!  Most recipes call for that higher temp, but it was too hot for my liking.

(01-24-2021, 01:26 PM)Buzzie mcnugget Wrote: So I have me some marbled nice ribeyes destined for the smoker.
It has a diffusion plate that slides out of the way and let's you put food right over the burn pot.
It is a jet sounding tornado of wood fire.
I need a couple other items but this first game today  is a rare treat for a decades long bucs fan, so I'm up and ready enjoy this day.
It sports Christmas for me

Buzz!!  Go Bucs!!!!  Can't wait to hear how that Ribeye turns out!!  You just seasoning with salt and pepper, or montreal seasoning, or something else?!
My Grilled Buffalo/Cajun wings recipe:

1. Separate tips from flats and legs.

2. Place on a rack and pat dry with paper towels.

3. Place wings uncovered in the fridge overnight (skip this if impatient)

4. Preheat oven to 350 and bake wings for 30 minutes.

5. Remove from oven and let cool.

6. Heat grill to 350.

7. Put a place about 10 legs/flats in a gallon zip-loc bag and add generous amounts of Franks Red Hot and Old Bay seasoning and shake until well covered.

8. Grill for about 2 or so minutes per side or until they get a nice char.

9. Serve with Maries Blue Cheese and side of celery stalks and Labatts Blue.

[Image: Al5661s.jpg]