Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Offices and taxes
Didn't really occur to me before, but I've never bothered to try and claim a deduction for the amount of work I do from home, which was traditionally on evenings, weekends, time spent waiting for deliveries, etc.  Now that I'll be spending a significant portion of the year working out of my house, I wonder what I should be thinking about.  I do all of my work on this i7 machine that cost me a bit of cash a few years back, as I intended it to be the media server and heart of the household IT flow.  I have an area of the basement where I'm set up for desk work and lab work, and purchased a new soldering iron and DC supply among some other odds and ends so that I didn't have to actually go in to the lab at my office.  I guess on the occasions when I do drive down in the middle of the day, mileage should be deductible too.

Any of you guys actually tracking this stuff who weren't before?
Can't jackboot from home. Got nothing. Sorry. Tongue
My CPA always told us that unless you never use the space for anything else, don't bother trying for it. Too much chance of an audit
That was always where i kind of stood on it, because I figured that, at worst, I was leaving a couple hundred bucks on the table. Maybe that ends up not changing much here, but just something I started thinking about.

Also, I need a freaking door.
(05-06-2020, 05:42 PM)Stank Delicious Wrote: Can't jackboot from home. Got nothing. Sorry. Tongue

Have you even tried?
(05-06-2020, 05:28 PM)Trub Lou Wrote: Didn't really occur to me before, but I've never bothered to try and claim a deduction for the amount of work I do from home, which was traditionally on evenings, weekends, time spent waiting for deliveries, etc.  Now that I'll be spending a significant portion of the year working out of my house, I wonder what I should be thinking about.  I do all of my work on this i7 machine that cost me a bit of cash a few years back, as I intended it to be the media server and heart of the household IT flow.  I have an area of the basement where I'm set up for desk work and lab work, and purchased a new soldering iron and DC supply among some other odds and ends so that I didn't have to actually go in to the lab at my office.  I guess on the occasions when I do drive down in the middle of the day, mileage should be deductible too.

Any of you guys actually tracking this stuff who weren't before?
Its not too bad. I have a dedicated home office. You can also put a percentage of use on your computer. For me, it's like 50% work, 50% other work. 5% video games. 110% math.
But, right, you deduct maybe a hundred dollars or so.  Never been audited, but my risk is not zero.
Nothing constructive to add Lou, other than pay yer taxes, deadbeat.

To errybody else, sorry for the lack of posting but I'm currently getting muh ass kicked at Mexas, Inc. Feck, it's busy and taking all muh time.
Yeah yeah yeah... Pay taxes to cover the bailouts we're giving to all these GimmeDat small businesses... Tongue
(05-06-2020, 08:00 PM)Trub Lou Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 05:42 PM)Stank Delicious Wrote: Can't jackboot from home. Got nothing. Sorry. Tongue

Have you even tried?

Oh yes.
I thought about this at one point, kinda thinkin it wouldn't be worth the effort