Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FrEtarget
(06-26-2021, 05:57 PM)Trub Lou Wrote: My boards should be ready after the first of the month. If you go with a plate of steel for your trap, are ricochets going to be an issue?

That is a concern. With air gun pellets they just flatten and drop. I may move it back another cm and add a catch right below.

They are already talking about adding a witness paper which will automatically advance after a shot is detected to avoid hits in the same hole affecting the sensor.  Something I wanted to avoid.
I got my boards yesterday and built a basic target aperture today to test things out.  From close range it's not bad, but clearly needs calibration.  My guess is there's a lot of noise and it cleans up substantially when I move it out to a better range.  I need to dig up a USB extension somewhere, as I'm just using a 6-foot arduino cable right now.

The INO file for the Arduino mega is pretty straightforward - just a state machine that it cycles through while waiting for a shot and then dispositioning it.  I'm not sure how much access I can get to the low level microphone stuff, but I've spent most of my career trying to figure out how to rescue signal from spurious reflections at RF, so maybe I can contribute something to this project on the acoustics side of it.  Pretty neat so far.  I need to hook up some other LEDs and such, as I'm just using the PC display right now for everything.  And I've only tested an air BB pistol with it.

I did load Visual Studio and compile from source.  There's a firmware 3.0.1.9 in there, and the latest posted directly to the project site is 3.0.1.7.
Cool... sounds like you are much more technically involved than I am or could. I'm too busy for the next month or so to work on mine. Keep us updated on your progress.

Ps... I got a 50 foot USB through Amazon.
I have a 15 foot usb-b coming and I have a 30 foot extension. I didn’t get out the air rifle yet, but I lined up paper targets over the opening and that thing is dialed in well for BBs shooting from just ten feet away. Really cool project. Can’t wait to add some other accessory bling to it. I have another arduino project I made with neopixels that might be easy to add to this and have a whole cylinder do light splashes of various colors depending on what you hit.

I assume the size of this is just limited by microphone sensitivity. I’d love to get one a hundred feet away, but with my skill level, it would probably need to be two feet across. Big Grin