Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting cap blocks
I have a retaining wall that could use some finishing touches.  I've specifically avoided putting caps on it because the wall itself has a changing curvature over about a 15-foot span, and so each cap would have to be custom cut.  Short of renting a masonry saw, how big of a PITA is it to make straight cuts in 3-5 inch cap blocks?  

Are the masonry blades for a circular saw worth anything?  Is it easier just to score them and then hit with a chisel to split?

I'll post pics when it's all done, but this is really the last major bit of the back deck project, and after 2 years, I'm itching to get it finished off.
Use one of these on an angle grinder, and whack with a hammer. 

https://www.amazon.com/Mortar-Diamond-Po...B07DPT7TVX
I used a masonry blade on the circular saw. For the paver brick work I plan on a combination of the circular saw again and a masonry blade on the angle grinder.  Oh, and beer
(05-12-2020, 03:45 PM)IamSancho Wrote: I used a masonry blade on the circular saw. For the paver brick work I plan on a combination of the circular saw again and a masonry blade on the angle grinder.  Oh, and beer

Beer is an often overlooked tool for any job worth doing right.
Scoring about 3/16 deep and whacking with a BFH and chisel seemed to give me the split face effect I was after while keeping a straight line at the break. I just used the circ saw. As I was buying the masonry blade it did occur up me that the angle grinder probably would have accomplished the same thing. I never think if that out of the context of metal.
(05-13-2020, 12:49 AM)Trub Lou Wrote: Scoring about 3/16 deep and whacking with a BFH and chisel seemed to give me the split face effect I was after while keeping a straight line at the break.  I just used the circ saw.  As I was buying the masonry blade it did occur up me that the angle grinder probably would have accomplished the same thing.  I never think if that out of the context of metal.

You'd get a finer control with the angle grinder.
Probably. I was just going straight, though.
Ah. Then circular saw away!