Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Grain Mill
I had a Barley Crusher for many, many years. I got it on a group buy years ago from the GB.   But the BC has bit the dust. It was time for a new Mill.   Got the Might Mill 3 Roller ( geared). Thing works really good. Blew through 16# grain like butter!

[Image: PXL-20210825-214134980-NIGHT.jpg]
Ooooh. That looks nice.
_________
You can never carry too much ammo, unless you are swimming or on fire.
I have the same BC from the group deal that cmbrougham and I set up back in the day. I was kind of wondering if I need to get rollers reknurled at some point. I wonder if that dude is still around.
How did the BC fail?
(09-04-2021, 03:01 AM)Trub Lou Wrote: How did the BC fail?

The rollers stop accepting the grain. It would spin but the rollers wouldn't grab the grain. I would reverse then go forward multiple times until it finally bit. I would take it apart, clean the rollers and it would kind of work but it took a long time to grind the batch (many times of forward/reverse).  I can't complain too much, the BC served me well for about 15 years. It wasn't until the last year it started acting up.

(09-04-2021, 03:00 AM)Trub Lou Wrote: I have the same BC from the group deal that cmbrougham and I set up back in the day. I was kind of wondering if I need to get rollers reknurled at some point. I wonder if that dude is still around.

I heard that is the solution to the issue. Apparently it's fairly common after years of use.
That did happen to me about 3 years ago. I don’t recall what I did. Maybe flipped the rollers around?

In any event, the new one looks sweet. Mind me asking what you paid? When I got the BC, I was still in college, and $100 was a fairly significant investment. I think the JSP malt mill was the other one on the table at the time, but was more expensive. I assume everything’s at least 500 now, with Bidenflation and all. Big Grin
It's $179.99 at MoreBeer. I preordered it in July with a $30 off coupon. Quite reasonable.
Yeah, not bad. I’m actually about to sit down and tweak a couple of recipes for today. I expect I’ll be grinding in the next hour.

And then maybe I’ll go crush some malt!
If you want to spend more, this mill looks like a beast. The Crankandstein is made in America. Although, with hopper and base, it will be at least $100 more. Also, the Crankandstein is fully geared to all 3 rollers (only top 2 are geared on mine). I may have considered this mill but I didn't hear of it until mine was ordered.

https://www.crankandstein.net/index.php?...ucts_id=33
The BC seemed to handle the job this morning. I may have to call an audible on my next recipes. I’ve got about 10 pounds of MO left and two more batches to do. I do have a lot of Pilsner malt tho.