Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar.
I'm no greenie.
But doing some simple math.
I pay about a  130 a month for electrons.
I can build a behemoth solar setup for an amortized cost over 10 years for 250/month
It's not about cost saving, but security and cost control. 

Change my mind. I am pretty sure I am pulling the trigger today.
Considering that whole house generators are pretty spendy, the idea of having power when the grid goes down is VERY ATTRACTIVE! Can you sell excess energy back to the power company or bank it somehow?!

Are the solar panels, etc made in China?
Usa 
(03-03-2022, 09:10 PM)Buzzie mcnugget Wrote: I'm no greenie.
But doing some simple math.
I pay about a  130 a month for electrons.
I can build a behemoth solar setup for an amortized cost over 10 years for 250/month
It's not about cost saving, but security and cost control. 

Change my mind. I am pretty sure I am pulling the trigger today.

Do it, man. There is no "green" version of high tech, just end-point clean. This is you getting off the grid and having cold beer while all my meals are piping at 98.6F.
(03-04-2022, 01:45 AM)Augie91 Wrote: Considering that whole house generators are pretty spendy, the idea of having power when the grid goes down is VERY ATTRACTIVE!  Can you sell excess energy back to the power company or bank it somehow?!

Are the solar panels, etc made in China?

Technically they have to buy it back. But they make it difficult. 

Yeah they're made of chineseum.
It's why I'm rushing to get it done while I can.
The system where you feed excess back to the grid without storage is not a bad idea.

I can't agree with the system that requires a metric shit-ton of backup batteries that require replacement after 5 years. Like a Tesla or a Prius.
LiFePo have 10000 recharge cycles if you hold no lower than 80% depth of discharge, 3000 at 100%
Half of my budget is going to batteries.
I just fecking don't want variable power bills.
It's not cheaper, but more secure.
Living off the grid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would love going off-gride ( or off-grid adjacent) but too old to do the work needed...

Gridlessness is a good YT channel about a family off grid in Canada. Shoot elk, mountain sheep thingies, build/grow/make all kinds of stuff.
Holy crap trying to ensure I purchase a large enough system is a maddening task.
The LiFePo batteries are far superior to the regular lithium ones. They are heavier and a bit more expensive, but their life cycle beats everything out there.
_________
You can never carry too much ammo, unless you are swimming or on fire.