Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pellet Smokers
Ya'll need to talk me out of a Trager. They just seem so easy.

I have a big ass offset old school smoker but feck it's a PITA to fire it up just to do a rack of ribs or wings. 

I'll keep the offset reserved for brisket or feeding a crowd.

So anybody run a Trager or something similar?
Pellets are awesome IMHO. In a few years or less I'm considering a pellet smoker too. I'd Compare the traeger to green mountain and Pit Boss. Look at reviews and check build quality. I just got a lectric smoker, but I use pellets in it and the smoke is blue and not messy.
After watching many many youtube reviews I'm leaning Pit Boss.
My step father has a traeger, I have a green mountain grill and a friend has a Pitt boss.

I like the traeger the least, both the pit boss and GMG are better options, I have had two issues with the GMG, both of them my errors, and in both cases they had people available on weekends to get me going till they could ship me free parts to fix my mistakes.
BBQ forum reviews might be a worthwhile read too! I see there's a lot of reviews on YouTube as well.
I'm leaning Pitt Boss because it's a Lowes item and I get 10% off as a vet.

Green Mountain and Boss are both made in China. Boo! I wanna support a USA product.

Trager is pretty much out for me RN.
Does Lowes offer several Pit Boss models to choose from?. Make sure you get one that's plenty big to fit those Texas sized briskets!! I've used the Pit Boss competition blend pellets and really liked the results.
Bump. You ever pick out a smoker Mexas??
Usa 
I've held off. Been watching vids and I may be considering a vertical propane smoker instead. Using chips not pellets and well under 1/2 the price.

Don't wanna drop 600-800 on a damn smoker in this economy whne I can drop 250 on a vertical.

And I'll spend the balance on prepping/guns/ammo.
I understand. That is a lot of cash. I got MES 40 with a pellet tube and it works jez fine. Snake method on Weber kettle would work too. I used to smoke on my gasser.
Usa