Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brewing tomorrow
Shaking it up a bit tomorrow.  30 min mash and boil. Glucoamylase goes in the mask and fermenter - all centennial FWH.  And OYL Star Party.  After a talk with young Drew this sounded like a good approach for a fruity dry summer slammer..........  We'll see in a few weeks.  Shooting for an FG of 1.002 and 50+ IBUs but who knows with FWH.  I used to treat a FWH as a 20 min addition and was happy with those.
I've been doing 30 minute boils for well over a year now (pilsner malt, too). I haven't noticed any difference.
Sounds like a killer beer DJ.
Usa 
I switched to 30 minute boil a couple of years ago. My last couple of batches were cloudier than normal, and there were 2 changes - the 30 minute boil and Munich added to the mix (got a free 50 lb bag of Munich with a new mill). Next time I'm going to try a 60 minute boil with the additional Munich.
(07-19-2022, 11:25 PM)dj in kc Wrote: Shaking it up a bit tomorrow.  30 min mash and boil. Glucoamylase goes in the mask and fermenter - all centennial FWH.  And OYL Star Party.  After a talk with young Drew this sounded like a good approach for a fruity dry summer slammer..........  We'll see in a few weeks.  Shooting for an FG of 1.002 and 50+ IBUs but who knows with FWH.  I used to treat a FWH as a 20 min addition and was happy with those.

So, how did it turn out? Not Star Party but I used Cosmic Punch.  It didn't deliver the extreme hop difference I was expecting.  Nice yeast but didn't meet the description.  If I use it again, I will try more mash hops.
(08-17-2022, 11:48 PM)Gusso Wrote:
(07-19-2022, 11:25 PM)dj in kc Wrote: Shaking it up a bit tomorrow.  30 min mash and boil. Glucoamylase goes in the mask and fermenter - all centennial FWH.  And OYL Star Party.  After a talk with young Drew this sounded like a good approach for a fruity dry summer slammer..........  We'll see in a few weeks.  Shooting for an FG of 1.002 and 50+ IBUs but who knows with FWH.  I used to treat a FWH as a 20 min addition and was happy with those.

So, how did it turn out? Not Star Party but I used Cosmic Punch.  It didn't deliver the extreme hop difference I was expecting.  Nice yeast but didn't meet the description.  If I use it again, I will try more mash hops.

Disappointing.  The most unbalanced beer I have ever brewed.  Huge hop bite with a little fruity thing going and totally dried out.  It does have alcohol though.... so I'll finish it

My kegged beer inventory got trashed a couple months ago so I brewed one to catch up. My window AC cooled chamber went down.  AC died and a US-05 batch finished up at over 80df.  Smelled like fusels when I dumped it.  I have another AC to wire up (I'll rewire the defrosting fan to run when I want it to).  Anyway I revived some Kveik Voss from last summer and used a spare ranco and space heater in the fermentation chamber.  Just kegged it yesterday when I started another batch.  It's nice finishing a beer quick. I forgot that last year that yeast (which I kept reusing either slurry or my usual reserving 600ml of starter for the next batch) was not floccing very well. I got remined when I kegged during the sparge.  Tasted just fine.  Yesterday I got a disappointing harvest from the dump valve but it still rallied the same day.  I guess I can drink cloudy beer for a month or so. The first few batches last year with the KV cleared reasonably well as I remember.
Have you tried dry Lutra Kveik? Very good neutral yeast. Works great in my Baltic Porter. Same heat preferences as Voss.
This thread needs moar pics!!!!!
Usa 
I made a brut IPA a couple of years ago that was okay but not something I'd do again. I think glucomylase only went in the primary for that one. Definitely dry, and I think it was the vigorous fermentation that drove off most of the hop aroma. I didn't dry hop afterward, so that probably would have helped.
I brewed a Tripel on Sunday that is fermenting away nicely. Good thing as I just pulled the last pint of my Zappa Pale Ale.