Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Summ-ah road doggin trip
Wife suddenly is with child to see Niagra Falls and Mackinac Island MI and points in between. So I'm taking 2 weeks away from Mexas Inc to keep the Boss happy. Because that's what we do is keep the Boss Happy. 

So here's the deal. I don't wanna fly. All this Boeing shitshow has me not wanting to get on a DEI jet. So I'm down with a 20 hour drive each way pulling my smaller camper and hauling muh Doggos and some guns. 

Wife is gunna fly up and meet me there as she can't take the time away from work like I can. 

Anybody got advice on highlights to see in this area? I know Mackinac is a no-car island and I'll plan to Air B&B a dog friendly place there and park my truck/camper somewhere close to the Ferry for a couple nights. 

My flaw in the plan is I am forced to traverse Cincy, Indy, Detroit, Chicago possibly. Do Not Want. No matter how well armed I'll be don't put yourself in a bad situation Fam. 

Positives is I'll be solo with my doggo for 6 days of solid driving and camping. 

Negatives I'll be driving through a shit show of Urban Utopia .
Sounds like a good time. Never been to the falls or detroit. Chicago has pie pizza.
57 north to Chicago allows you to skirt the southern suburbs and miss the worst of Chicago. Or go a little out of your way and go north through Indianapolis if you want to avoid Illinois. Either way you end up on 94 in SW MI, take that to 196 in Benton Harbor, north to my place in Hudsonville, then east to 131 which will take you all the way up to Mackinaw.

Stay in Mackinaw City (lower peninsula) rather than St Ignace (upper peninsula). Mackinaw City ain't much, but St Ignace is even less. If you're camping, hit Mackinaw Mill Creek campground. About 5 miles east of town, a billionty spots, great views of the bridge. Make reservations if you are going in the summer. Make reservations for EVERYTHING if you are going in the summer. Especially if you want to stay on the island overnight. It's a 15 minute ferry ride, so day tripping is pretty easy.

The island itself is no cars except emergency vehicles. Most people walk or bike, there are also horse drawn taxis. I suspect they won't be fond of your dogs, so you'll end up walking. There's the fort, touristy stuff, and not much else. It's worth a visit, especially if you go during the lilac festival or something, but it won't take you long to see everything.

If I were you, I'd go north across the bridge from there. Stop at the Soo and tour the locks. Go west to Whitefish Bay if you get off on shipwrecks. Then go north into Canuckistan and east to Niagara.
You gotta do Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds excursions. We hit those a few years back and they were awesome!!!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

A few pics from our recent trip to your backyard![Image: 82c512ac601822f25c234c98149d4a59.jpg][Image: 34a7622dd4d7090480b320e3b1a30d7d.jpg]

Usa 
(03-21-2024, 08:49 PM)You're_Mom Wrote: 57 north to Chicago allows you to skirt the southern suburbs and miss the worst of Chicago.  Or go a little out of your way and go north through Indianapolis if you want to avoid Illinois.  Either way you end up on 94 in SW MI, take that to 196 in Benton Harbor, north to my place in Hudsonville, then east to 131 which will take you all the way up to Mackinaw.

Stay in Mackinaw City (lower peninsula) rather than St Ignace (upper peninsula).  Mackinaw City ain't much, but St Ignace is even less.  If you're camping, hit Mackinaw Mill Creek campground.  About 5 miles east of town, a billionty spots, great views of the bridge.  Make reservations if you are going in the summer.  Make reservations for EVERYTHING if you are going in the summer.  Especially if you want to stay on the island overnight.  It's a 15 minute ferry ride, so day tripping is pretty easy.

The island itself is no cars except emergency vehicles.  Most people walk or bike, there are also horse drawn taxis.  I suspect they won't be fond of your dogs, so you'll end up walking.  There's the fort, touristy stuff, and not much else.  It's worth a visit, especially if you go during the lilac festival or something, but it won't take you long to see everything.

If I were you, I'd go north across the bridge from there.  Stop at the Soo and tour the locks.  Go west to Whitefish Bay if you get off on shipwrecks.  Then go north into Canuckistan and east to Niagara.

Scott, thanks for the tips. And glad to see you stop in every once and awhile.

I gots a shit ton of planning to do and I'm just now digging in. Good call on not taking hounds on the Island and the fact that it can all be seen in less than a day.

While I agree the Canuckistan side of Niagra is the way to go, I'm concerned that the fecking Canucks won't let me take my Arms across the border. Last time I drove my truck into Canuckistan back in 2002 the guard in BC gave me a ton of shit talk over my Texas plates and "why does a person need so many guns?" Because Feck You Canuck and Feck your PM too.

Nice pics Augie. When ya'll head back here?
Apparently I can transport firearms through Canuckistan providing I fill out the proper forms and get approval before crossing plus pay 25 Loonies.

So I can at least take a handgun ( no extended mags of course) but my AR that I usually take with me for SHTF when I travel will have to stay home.

That's fine I suppose.
In Canada, SHTF is a hallmark movie with goofy characters trying to figure out how to use an old-timey can opener and sharing their dwindling supplies with needy neighbors. They will greet you as their god.
Last time we hit Niagra Falls the Canadians would not let us come on their side cause we were not vaccinated. Your guns story reminds me of that a bit Smile RE Texas, we hit South Padre for Spring Break again Mar 9-15. I think Port A for Christmas and South Padre for Spring Break might be a regular thing for us. REALLY love those walkable wide beaches down there!!

Usa