Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joining Gusso...
Bumpage. Perhaps I'll get an Ooni instead of another smoker. Been watching vids.

The wood looks like much more work in stoking the fire and clean up over the gas. Also thinking the 12 will work just fine over the 16, being just two of us.
The 16 is a good size that doesn't feel cramped. Agreed that the wood/coal is a bit of a PITA. I probably use the propane 80% of the time.
My friend (the hot flight attendant, don't know if I mentioned her here) has the 12. She bought an Ooni after having pizza at my house. Later, she had a pizza party at her place. From my one experience making pizza on the smaller oven, it seems to make a crisper bottom. Btw, I had a big pizza party today - my brother brought his family over and I made 6 pies!

Btw, Lou, ever check out the Pizza Nirvana thread? New Haven pizza is better than advertised!
It's fine. They never really called it new haven pizza here until it became a hip term.

I've yet to have or make a real (clam) one, though.
I think it would be easier to make good pies than good bbq. I continue to think about a pellet smoker or a ugly drum, but just like with home brewing I can go buy some excellent ribs for a few dollars more. I can do pork butts or smoked salmon, but I love ribs and I cannot make what I can buy local.
Usa 
There is definitely a steeper learning curve for the pizza. Maybe the one thing that makes it more forgiving is that you can make an extra crust or two, and if something goes wrong, you pitch it and you're out 5 minutes or less. With bbq, if something went wrong (which is far less likely if you pay attention), then there is no recovery for that meal.
(09-22-2022, 12:36 AM)Trub Lou Wrote: It's fine. They never really called it new haven pizza here until it became a hip term.

I've yet to have or make a real (clam) one,  though.

I made a white clam pie (frozen clams) for my wife yesterday. That's her favorite.
(03-28-2022, 12:02 AM)Trub Lou Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 11:52 PM)Gusso Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 01:27 PM)Trub Lou Wrote: Alright. Got a 2 day fermented crust going, and about to start some sauce.  Wind is 26mph today. Ugh.

What's your sauce recipe?

This is maybe... approximate, but I almost always do some variation on this:

28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes, or coarsely chop a whole can of San Marzanos.
2T kosher salt
1T fennel seed, ground in mortar
1t black pepper
1t crushed red pepper
2t oregano
1/2t rubbed sage
3 cloves of garlic, smashed
1t onion powder
1-4 T brown sugar, depending on how sweet I'm feeling - 4 gives a good St. Louis sauce, 1 leaves it pretty bright

Get all of this at a very low simmer and then heat just barely bubbling for 3-4 hours until it darkens substantially.  Stir regularly.

What's the yield on this meaning approx how many pies? Do your store extra or chunk it? 

Would also be interested in dough recipe.
I looked at the 12" and 16" gas ovens tonight at Academy. It was important to put hands on. Big difference in size of the two, but I'm thinking the 12 will be optimal for not only storage but travel in my camper. At home it can live on top of the Blackstone for storage, then can sit on the Blackstone cooking surface while in use. Gunna hit Amazon for the accessories as I refuse to drop 50 on a damn over sized spatula.
I got pans, peels (I use a wood one to launch and metal to move pies in the oven), and a couple of those stands to double stack the finished pies on the table at the US Foods Chef Store. Really cheap prices.