Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Currently in the fermenter
Looks awesome
Usa 
Second batch with the OYL404/Star Party was brewed Saturday. I tasted a little from the first batch while kegging during the sparge. Promising fruitiness. The first was a hoppy wheat. This one was a standard APA with a touch of C-20
(05-22-2022, 04:06 PM)bdutton Wrote: I also kegged my blueberry mead.  Had about a 3/4 glass (16oz glass) of that as I always do and another glass of the IPA as I transferred to the secondary.  I am riding a solid buzz on that shit.  Damn.

ETA... and just to add proof to how buzzed I am I forgot to turn on the cold water to my counter flow chiller when I transferred the hot wort of the AB to the primary yeast cake of my IPA.  FML.

So the Blueberry mead is meh.  Has a weird aftertaste but otherwise ok.

The Arrogant bastard clone that was too hot for the 1st generation 1056 american ale yeast which I later supplemented with a bit of the good yeast from the other 5 gallon batch ended up being kind of bitter/sour due to what I can only assume a wild yeast strain that infected the batch.  Its drinkable but just barely.
Kegged up a Zappa APA yesterday. The early sample I had today was promising. It's hard to describe these hops - I get some fruit but it also has some herbal qualities as well. And a tinge of dank.
You had me until dank Smile
Usa 
Actually, upon further review, dank was a bad descriptor. But the flavor is hard to nail down. Fruity but not in an Aussie/NZ hop way. Definitely an herbal/floral component, as well (but I wonder if the cascade contributed to that). Very complex.

Edit - I used 2oz Zappa and 1 oz Cascade @ WP and DH and 1 oz of CZT for 30 minute boil. I used the magnet trick to drop the DH.
I used another hop for the first time in a brew I did this past weekend - Mackinac. I'm ready to cold crash and transfer.
(06-27-2022, 12:04 AM)bdutton Wrote:
(05-22-2022, 04:06 PM)bdutton Wrote: I also kegged my blueberry mead.  Had about a 3/4 glass (16oz glass) of that as I always do and another glass of the IPA as I transferred to the secondary.  I am riding a solid buzz on that shit.  Damn.

ETA... and just to add proof to how buzzed I am I forgot to turn on the cold water to my counter flow chiller when I transferred the hot wort of the AB to the primary yeast cake of my IPA.  FML.

So the Blueberry mead is meh.  Has a weird aftertaste but otherwise ok.

The Arrogant bastard clone that was too hot for the 1st generation 1056 american ale yeast which I later supplemented with a bit of the good yeast from the other 5 gallon batch ended up being kind of bitter/sour due to what I can only assume a wild yeast strain that infected the batch.  Its drinkable but just barely.

I finally managed to move past that monstrosity in the keg and now have kegged a proper IPA.
There's So Many new hops I've never heard of. What's the reason / method to all these new varieties?!
Usa 
It seems most of these newer varieties are of the fruity tropical type. Obviously, geared towards the NEIPA craze. At least, that's how I see it.