Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Currently in the fermenter
(01-25-2021, 08:36 PM)Gusso Wrote: I might do my Belgian Tripel recipe this weekend but try it with Hornindal Kveik.  Gonna call it "Screaming Viking" and toss in a bruised cucumber.

Dude.  It's moments like this that I love you.

*slams cucumber on the bar*
The Screaming Viking is in the fermenter. I boiled the cucumber for a minute or two. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been a SV. Before brewing, I realized I was out of dried orange peel. I improvised by using a nasty orange from my tree. Guess what? That peel smelled great in the boil. OG 1.097. Big beer, baby.

[Image: PXL-20210130-202924927-MP.jpg]
This looks to be done fermenting. All the way down to 1.009. Damn, that puts this at 11.5%! Rocket fuel.
ChugSuperBowl Beer!!!!
I brewed my first lager on Monday. OG was a bit higher than anticipated (1.064) but that's ok with me. It's pretty much done fermenting already, down to 1.009. Obviously, for such a quick ferment I used pressurized fermentation. I never attempted a lager before because I don't have a controlled temp refrigerator. Pressurized fermentation allows you to do lagers at room temp (and way faster). I'm having fun with my SPUNDit spunding valve.
Why does pressurizing remove the need for lagering? Does the pressure inhibit certain activity in the yeast so you don't get typical warm fermentation flavors?
Pretty much it. Pressure reduces esters which allows you to make a clean lager at ale temperatures. Well it supposed to work. I'll find out how mine came out in a week or two. Another plus is it's already carbonated.
I ordered another kegerator a few days ago. 2 more taps to fill. I might as well just dump some wort on that lager yeast cake after I transfer it to a corny this weekend. I'm also about ready to try a Biere de Garde with a new yeast strain (Omega Gulo).

https://omegayeast.com/yeast/hybrids/gulo-ale
Is it even legal to do this at home?
Mexas, get off that seltzer and get back into the game. I took about 6 years off and I'm now brewing better beer than evah! Lots of improvements out there over the past few years.