Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recipes/Foods/Eating Thread!
(01-29-2021, 07:13 PM)Augie91 Wrote: Wife and I went out to lunch today.  She's off on Fridays so those are our date days!  Went to a new restaurant and had a great lunch.  I had a lobster roll that was KILLER.  I don't eat lobster very often so it was a rare treat.  Gonna have to go there and eat more often!

DJ they had a BLT that I almost got and a Salmon BLT that sounded tempting too.  Let us know how those fries turn out.

Fries were great.  Pretty much SOP for the last year or so unless I get lazy and skip the parboil
What kind of grilled cheeses do you all like and with what kind of soup?!?!?!

I LOVE making grilled cheese sammiches with a twist.  Pepperoni pizza and crab grilled cheese are just a few that I've made that were hits.  I've even put mac n cheese in grilled cheeses and used donuts instead of bread.  Here's a nice article about thinking outside the box.  One thing I'm gonna try today is...

"You can also make a compound butter by softening the butter and mixing in whichever spices you want to use," Gibson said. "You can add chipotle powder, garlic, sage, rosemary, or thyme and get even more flavor in there. When you spread it on the outside, you get those layers of flavor."

Here's another...

"Any jam, any chutney, even dijon mustard, almost any condiment will lend itself to a grilled cheese sandwich," Werlin said.

"If you've got sweet or savory condiments like pepper jelly or onion relish sitting in the back of your fridge, those work great in a grilled cheese," Gibson said.

https://www.insider.com/easy-ways-elevat...2021-1?amp
Grilled cheese with tomato/basil bisque is damned good!

I've been on a Cajun cooking kick lately... tonight is jambalaya which I've made 3 or 4 times before.
I get my recipes from The Cajun Ninja on YT. His crawfish etoufee is great also..
I'm gonna look cajun ninja up!!
The only drawback of cooking Cajun is it takes a long time... the onion/celery/bell pepper takes a while to sweat down to almost mushy.
Totally worth it though .. and the jambalaya is a quicker meal.
Gumbo=Etouffee>Jambalaya.  I want more sauce - jambalaya is too dry for my taste

Gumbo=Etouffee>Jambalaya.  I want more sauce - jambalaya is too dry for my taste

Oven roux while prepping other stuff saves time.
It's like any other rice dish to me... and I love rice!
During the Covid stock up panic I bought a big bag of jasmine rice at Sam's. I've been really enjoying the rice. Good quality and tastes great. I feel healthier eating rice versus potatoes. I have been eating a lot of sweet potatoes lately which I think are better than other potatoes.
I've tried over half these 21 items at Aldi's and would have to agree that they are all winners!!!

Brioche Buns - very good with the Chik Fil A style chicken patties everybody raves about
Everything Bagel Seasoning -. LOVE this stuff!
Faux Girl Scout Cookies - why pay the high price!
Maple Syrup is awesome!
Hawaiian buns are good as Kings Hawaiian.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/f...li=BBnb7Kw

I also like their chips, chocolate, produce, cheese, spreadable butter, wine, and ice cream!
I really should go to Aldi more. I tend to only run in to grab snacks. They have these chocolate covered blueberries that are quite tasty.

The one here shares a parking lot with lowes and autozone, so I'm there reasonably often.