Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joining Gusso...
Alright. Got a 2 day fermented crust going, and about to start some sauce. Wind is 26mph today. Ugh.
Don't throw those pizza in the air, they might wind up in the neighbors fence!!
(03-26-2022, 01:27 PM)Trub Lou Wrote: Alright. Got a 2 day fermented crust going, and about to start some sauce.  Wind is 26mph today. Ugh.

What's your sauce recipe?
My bread maker delivered today. Guess I better sort that shit out.
(03-27-2022, 11:52 PM)Gusso Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 01:27 PM)Trub Lou Wrote: Alright. Got a 2 day fermented crust going, and about to start some sauce.  Wind is 26mph today. Ugh.

This is maybe... approximate, but I almost always do some variation on this:

28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes, or coarsely chop a whole can of San Marzanos.
2T kosher salt
1T fennel seed, ground in mortar
1t black pepper
1t crushed red pepper
2t oregano
1/2t rubbed sage
3 cloves of garlic, smashed
1t onion powder
1-4 T brown sugar, depending on how sweet I'm feeling - 4 gives a good St. Louis sauce, 1 leaves it pretty bright

Get all of this at a very low simmer and then heat just barely bubbling for 3-4 hours until it darkens substantially.  Stir regularly.
Gdamn I must try this
(03-28-2022, 12:02 AM)Trub Lou Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 11:52 PM)Gusso Wrote:

This is maybe... approximate, but I almost always do some variation on this:

28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes, or coarsely chop a whole can of San Marzanos.
2T kosher salt
1T fennel seed, ground in mortar
1t black pepper
1t crushed red pepper
2t oregano
1/2t rubbed sage
3 cloves of garlic, smashed
1t onion powder
1-4 T brown sugar, depending on how sweet I'm feeling - 4 gives a good St. Louis sauce, 1 leaves it pretty bright

Get all of this at a very low simmer and then heat just barely bubbling for 3-4 hours until it darkens substantially.  Stir regularly.

I started out using the whole San Marzano but I've been using crushed lately. 
Moar Pizza and bread pics!!!!
Usa 
So Lou, is the old dough noticeably better than the new dough? Really, I've pretty much done first day. Is it worth the time?
It's not much extra time, and I'd say the quality difference between fermented and unfermented is exactly what I'd expect it to be, as a brewer. Smile

My guess is that some of the quality improvement in the 2-day dough could be achieved on other ways, like investing in super fine "00" flour and things like that. In the 2-day recipe, I didn't see any difference with the 00 flour, so it may just be that the extra time helps coarser flour take on the hydration better. Pure speculation, but I almost always know I'll be making pizza in two days, so the 48-hour cold rest is just SOP now.