Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brewing tomorrow
(08-21-2022, 01:33 AM)Gusso Wrote: Have you tried dry Lutra Kveik?  Very good neutral yeast. Works great in my Baltic Porter. Same heat preferences as Voss.

That's next on my list to try.  I don't really know why the Voss quit floccing. The first few batches cleared as expected.  The beer tastes fine to me but really cloudy even after 48 hours after hitting it with gelatin.  I don't care much but I'm used to very clear beers.

I have another batch ready to keg and expect the same. We'll see
I have a DIPA going at the moment. Gonna hop it with Lotus and Nelson Sauvin. I'm using Voss to take advantage of the summer heat.
That Kveik yeast is insane. I pitched it about 4 hours ago and not only has fermentation started, it's down 12 points! I'm using my Brew Belt and temp is holding at 96.
The temp actually climbed to 104. Supposedly, that is the perfect temperature for the orangey esters. We'll see - it does smell very nice. Gravity has dropped 42 points in about 24 hours.
(08-29-2022, 08:08 PM)Gusso Wrote: The temp actually climbed to 104. Supposedly, that is the perfect temperature for the orangey esters. We'll see - it does smell very nice. Gravity has dropped 42 points in about 24 hours.

Yeah I was over 100 for most of the ferment and got a lot of those esters.  Not floccing did a number on my gut though.......  Still worth it. Another has been ready to keg for a few days.  I need to get in gear.
I did not know about this yeast. I don't brew in the summer because my basement gets warm from the dehumidifier running. This should give me some options.
(08-30-2022, 02:12 PM)mikesarney Wrote: I did not know about this yeast.  I don't brew in the summer because my basement gets warm from the dehumidifier running.  This should give me some options.

Another plus is that it's way easier to chill the wort. My chiller will only get my wort to mid 80's at best. The other day I pulled the chiller at 105. 

Also, there's a variety of Kveik yeasts that have very different profiles but they all tolerate the heat better than traditional ale yeasts.

Btw, it looks like the fermentation is done - 1.070-1.012 in 48 hours.
Looking to brew a BdG tomorrow. Just ground my grain and got my water profile adjustment. I should probably get my ShakenNotStirred starter going before I get too lit up tonight.
Wow, I have had problems with Kveik Voss not floccing that I have reserved some starter for the next batch. Not kind to my gut and it's taken weeks to clear with gelatin.

Bought some dry Lutra a couple days ago. Made a 3+L starter with 2 gm. It finished in less than 24 hours. I did my usual 600ml reserve for the next batch. By the time I had a lid on the mason jar for next time it had started floccing out. And what was left in the Erlenmeyer had started settling. All this was just a minute or two after I unplugged the DIY stirplate. I hope I like the supposed clean profile with this stuff.
(09-13-2022, 11:50 PM)dj in kc Wrote: Wow, I have had problems with Kveik Voss not floccing that I have reserved some starter for the next batch. Not kind to my gut and it's taken weeks to clear with gelatin.

Bought some dry Lutra a couple days ago.  Made a 3+L starter with 2 gm.  It finished in less than 24 hours.  I did my usual 600ml reserve for the next batch.  By the time I had a lid on the mason jar for next time it had started floccing out.  And what was left in the Erlenmeyer had started settling.  All this was just a minute or two after I unplugged the DIY stirplate.  I hope I like the supposed clean profile with this stuff.

I've had good results with it. Hopefully, you do too.  It's fantastic in my Baltic Porter.  But I use a whole pack in that high gravity brew.